Friday 4 January 2013

Friday Feature - Widowspeak

The first Friday Feature of 2013 is Widowspeak, an indie rock band from New York, USA. I love them for two reason a) their dreamy sound and b) Molly Hamilton's battle with stage fright. For the longest time Molly couldn't bear anyone listening to her perform (going so far as to record her song ideas for her band mates to listen to whilst she hid in another room) but without her soft croon Widowspeak wouldn't be anything. All of Widowspeak's songs gently pulse along, relying only on the odd guitar curl for embellishment, leaving space for Molly to deliver their scant but deep lyrics and let their meaning take hold:
 
 Last night I thought of you
Years ago, when bodies grew
An empty home
A vacant Hell
I knew you in the harsh realm
I thought about how it was
I thought about you because
I always think about you


Where will I have heard them before?

Single "Harsh Realm" was featured in an episode of the television series American Horror Story.

Featured Song: Harsh Realm


Where can I hear more?

No official free songs at the moment however they have two fab EPs to sample along with first album Windowspeak and second album Almanac coming out early 2013.

What is their website?

http://widowspeak.bandcamp.com/

Next week: Cults

***

I don't know about you guys but knowing that Molly had to battle with stage fright to be part of Widowspeak makes me love her, the band and their music even more. One of of my biggest heroes is Rammstein's Till Lindemann for the exact same reason! Yes - believe it or not fierce Till Lindemann gets performance jitters too! It makes me think that if he can carry off such a convincing, bold, charismatic performance in front of mega stadiums full of screaming crowds whilst scared to really look any of them in the eye that I can try and battle my confidence issues too. Do any of you guys have heroes like this? I'd love to hear about them!

4 comments:

  1. This is really interesting! Great post, what a lovely song. By the way, I hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really enjoy doings these each Friday. I hope I'll be able to share more music with you that you'll like!

      Delete
  2. I love sharing music and your suggestions are BRILLIANT! I will listen to all of these bands! you are tooooo cooooool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol yes sharing music is the best!

      You can listen to many of my 2012 picks on this playlist: http://8tracks.com/rachel-yelding/friday-feature-round-up-2012

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...