Tuesday 26 March 2013

Recipe - Oh No! Avocado! Guacamole

I'm going away for a few weeks so here's something for you to do whilst I'm gone. It's called 'Oh No! Avocado!' because I always buy avocados in groups and either get bored by the time I get to the last one or out right forgot I have one left and it gets over ripe etc. I like this recipe because it is more flavoursome and filling than shop bought guacamole.

Ingredients (makes one portion per avocado)
1 ripe avocado
1 1/2 tbsp lemon / lime juice
salt
1 diced medium red onion
1 diced medium tomato

Optional extras
1 handful fresh herbs (eg coriander, chives)
jalapenos / chilli sauce
diced cooked chicken
diced hard boiled egg
tortilla chips
granary bread / bruschetta

Method
  1. Halve the avocado, remove the stone and scoop the pulp into a bowl.
  2. Add the lime / lemon juice and salt and mash until most of the pulp as gone smooth but there are still chunks.
  3. Stir in the diced onion and tomato. If you don't have red onions you can use spring onions (otherwise known as scallions / salad onions). If you prefer really smooth guacamole it's at this point you can blend it instead of stirring everything in.
  4. Add your optional extras. I don't like coriander so I stir in other Mediterranean herbs instead. I also like my guacamole to have a little kick so I usually add a drop of Nando's Extra Hot Piri Piri sauce (other hot sauces are also okay lol) but only a drop because it goes a long way. If you are making this for people who don't like chilli you can leave out the hot sauce and just garnish your helping with jalapenos instead.
Guacamole is usually a dip for chips but I like to eat this version as a meal on a slice of freshly toasted granary bread. It would also work as a bruschetta topping. If you wanted a more substantial meal you could use it as a baked potato or sandwich filling bulked out with cooked chicken or hard boiled egg.

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally gonna steal this recipe because Im a HUGE guac fan but also you are making me ridiculously hungry at 12:30 YUM YUM YUM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...